Joseph A. Perez is Benefit Cosmetics leading man, landing on the cover of its national catalog, placed Joseph as San Francisco’s makeup artist de Jour.
I’ve known Joseph for years, and from my experience as a District Manager for a Skincare Boutique I always admired his passion and drive for the business.
Joseph’s experience with Benefit Cosmetics has landed him the opportunity of working behind the scenes at QVC, the Emmys, a feature in 17 Magazine and working with celebrity clients. It took months to set up this interview, as Joseph is busy running the Benefit on Fillmore. He was gracious and agreed to meet me for coffee.
Anita: How did you get started in a life of Makeup and beauty?
Joseph: By chance, I was in HR before my career in cosmetics. I loved coaching, training and motivating people and found it rather difficult to discipline them, I didn’t like the role of being the bad guy.
Anita: Where did you work before Benefit?
Joseph: I began my Cosmetic career at Macy’s, working for Chanel. I wasn’t hired for my makeup skills, but because of my personality. I was so good at my job that Chanel wanted to hire me as a regional and Macy’s didn’t want to lose me and this created a tug a war. I ended up working for Benefit and it’s been 6 years now.
Anita: congratulations of making it on the Cover of Benefits Catalog!
Joseph: Thank you! I’m having fun with it.
Anita: Now to get down to the Makeup questions – What is the biggest misconception women have about makeup?
Joseph: Most women are afraid of leaving their comfort zone, they are afraid to look different, being able to access your own fabulousness is empowering, you don’t need to be a makeup artist to wear makeup.
Anita: What is your favorite makeup tip/secret?
Joseph: The Canvas, the skin, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You can never be dewy enough, never be too radiant.
Anita: What have you learned about women and makeup?
Joseph: I learned that nobody wants to wear makeup, yet everybody wants to see a result, my challenge as a makeup artist is to be able to develop a routine for women that is user-friendly.
Anita: If a woman has five minutes in the morning for makeup, what steps do you recommend as being most important?
1. A moisturizer with an SPF – hydration is key.
2. Curling lashes – a must!
3. Filling in your brows – gives that polished look.
4. a tinted lip balm – for hydration and color.
Granted if you have a few more minutes then use a little mascara, concealer and blush and presto you’re ready to leave the house.
Anita: Makeup trends we should know about this season?
Joseph: The trends for fall are any shade of purple or plum under the sun, also a more natural look to makeup – not too heavy.
Anita: What are the top 10 Benefit products every gal should have in her beauty closet?
1. Brow Zing
2. ” You Rebel “
3. Some kind of gorgeous
4. Girl meets Pearl
6. Bad Gal W/P eye pencil
7. Stay don’t stray eye primer
8. The professional
9. Sugar Bomb
10. Bad Gal Mascara
Anita: (After reading this list, I must admit I’m a little intrigued) – Who is your favorite makeup artist?
Joseph: Pat McGrath – the best in the business! She’s a creative and legendary genius.
Anita: The question I’ve been dying to ask, what’s in your famous makeup kit?
Joseph: All Benefit Cosmetic products, I can achieve all the looks needed for any event with Benefit!
Anita: Do’s & Don’ts of makeup application?
1. Always wear Moisturizer, regardless of skin type – don’t neglect your skin!
2. Change your makeup accordingly, to the seasons, events – daytime and evening. Don’t get caught in a routine.
3. Don’t forget to fill in your brows, they frame your face.
4. Wear primer under makeup – makeup won’t last all day without it.
5. Use an eyelash curler! Never assume your eyelashes are at full potential.
6. Wear age-appropriate makeup – don’t assume all products work on everyone.
7. Personalize and contrast your makeup to your skin undertones and eye color – don’t follow tradition, beauty is an individual thing.
8. Always remove your makeup at night, it’s very bad to sleep with makeup. You age faster! Don’t use soap as a cleanser, it will dry your skin out.
9. Use creamy concealers, not powder concealers.
Anita: Last minute words of Wisdom?
1. Don’t tweeze your own brows – it’s very bad to tweeze them yourself, go to a professional!
2. Less is always More!
3. Be in touch with your inner glam – know it and access it.
4. Ladies, let’s fix this recession one lipstick at a time! ( Love that! )
5. Never forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that only applies if you behold your own beauty! – J.A Perez.
Anita: I’ve enjoyed this conversation so much – off the record let’s talk about boys!
Joseph: ( Laughing ) okay – put your pen away!
2117 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, Ca 94115
415 – 567-0242
* Out of all the Benefit locations I’ve visited, by far Benefit on Fillmore street gives the best service, I’ve never been pressured into buying anything and the staff is professional, knowledgeable and gracious.
2 thoughts on “Q & A with Benefit’s leading Man – Joseph A. Perez”
Love love your comments and love your blog~!
Regarding the eyelash curler, I so agree! Without my lashes curled my eyes look smaller.
I use the Hot Lashes heated eyelash curler, it has a gold sturdy curler like the Shu one and it gets heated on a seperate heater base thingy. I read reviews on Amazon.com and Love it!
Primer idea great one~! I love primers and I love makeup and curly lashes that lasts.
Thanks for all you do!…:)
I agree – J’s tips are great! But stay tuned, I have other Q’s & A’s coming up with other amazing makeup artists. Thank you for reading my blog – and for sharing your great ideas…